Waiting for Waiting for God No More

Tuesday, January 8, 2008


Meet Tom and Diana of Waiting for God fame.
This is my blog, and I am going to take this opportunity to reveal some of the delicate subtleties of my one over-arching personality trait. Nerdiness. If you have any aversions or allergies to pure unadulterated nerdiness, I suggest you look away now.


So, I love TV, but I do not actually watch TV a great deal. I hate commercials and I despise reality TV ( I knew I was done a few years back when I saw a commercial for "The Littlest Groom" and it didn't turn out to be commercial for Geico.) I've never seen an episode of Lost, or 24, or Grey's Anatomy. For this reason, and for many others, I have embraced the world of DVR. I can come home after a long day and watch only the shows that give my inner nerd license to spring free after a day stuck in business casual wear, uncomfortable heels, and the guise of a generally well put together executive assistant.


One of the shows that delights my inner nerd most is "Waiting for God." It's about the goings on in Bayview retirement home (think a sarcastic old lady, a neurotically fantasizing elderly man, an arthritic old chap named Basil who calls himself the Bayview Stallion, and a cast of other delightfully quirky characters). Do you see how pathetic I am? I'm trying to convince you it's cool. (Cough cough, NERD!)



Every few years, someone at PBS who loves me decides to air a couple seasons, and for those few months all is right in the inner sanctum of my nerd-dom. Last night, as Andy and I were flipping through the channels, what did I see on the TV schedule but Waiting for God. I could scarcely believe my luck. I squeaked, I squealed, I flapped about excitedly, I even considered doing a cartwheel. But then I remembered that my cartwheels look something like a slightly chubby giraffe trying to do a forward hand spring down a hill covered with axle grease (NOT PRETTY). ( And no Heather, I will not try to do a cartwheel, film it, and post it here for your enjoyment. I have to maintain some dignity, don't I? Could be too late for that one anyway after this post).
And so for the next few bleak winter months, I shall have my beloved Britcom to give me much needed warm fuzzies. To my anonymous friend at PBS, I send a hearty smooch.
Doing a cartwheel in my mind so no one gets hurt,
Cyndi


3 comments:

Heather said...

I REALLY would like to see that cartwheel. One of the things I love the most about you is your nerdiness. Cool is so boring. I love your quirks--and your inner heffer, of course (from one heffer to another).

spood said...

Cyndi, you are such a good writer. I haven't laughed so loud in a long time. Love you so much.

Love Momma

Boring,
This is Dad, You're the bomb, wow, what a writer.

notmylespaul said...

Write a book already! I laughed so hard I barely noticed my sleeve was hanging in my( does the dad tongue click) orange juice.