Did I Miss My Calling?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008


Have you ever had one of those moments when you wonder if you missed your calling? Where a profession suddenly appeals to you, and you wonder if you might have been able to do it, had your life path been different? I had one of those moments this morning.


I was on my way to work listening to La Boheme, (opera is some of my favorite commuting music. I told you I was a nerd) when I wondered what my life would have been like had I been an opera singer. It seemed like it could be a good fit. After all, I already wear enough make-up to be seen from a stage. How hard could the rest of it be? I would get to wear cool costumes. I could handle that. I've always wanted one of those Valkyrie hats with the horns on them (mostly because they look handy for carrying purses and groceries, thereby freeing up the hands. Hey, it could work.) It would also give me an excuse of not caring about my weight. Stereotypically speaking, you can be Rubenesque, right? And besides, if anyone teased me about my weight, I could lower my head and go after them with my helmet horns. Take that!


I had pretty much decided that this would be the perfect career move when it occurred to me that I would actually have to sing.


The question intrigued me. Could I sing opera? It occurred to me that I had never tried. Here I was, alone in my car, opera blasting. It seemed like the perfect time to give it a shot. I did a few warm ups and waited for the perfect note, then I opened my mouth as wide as I could and let fly. All I can say is "wow." I had absolutely no idea I was capable of making a sound that horrific. I felt my face turn red. I was actually embarrassed for myself. I think my eyes even watered.


So I may in fact confirm for you that the answer is a resounding no. I did not in fact miss my calling. I'm sure there are many an unshattered eardrum that can now breathe (can an eardrum breathe?) a sigh of relief.


Cyndi
PS. Nine pounds of weight lost and two weeks of official workouts. Wahoo!

0 comments: