Am I Totally Uncool?

Thursday, January 17, 2008

I've never been big into high fashion. When I must shop I circle around the clearance racks and grab a few things here and there before moving on. I've never really felt that I have bad taste, but lately I have been led to wonder. The hubby and I like to hang out at Borders on Saturday mornings when we can. We sometimes amuse ourselves by looking at magazines. In the magazines are often pictures. And in some of these pictures are clothes. It's the clothes in these pictures that have set me to wondering. Here are some things I don't get.

Skinny jeans: Are we really down to mugging 8 year old boys for their pants? My theory is that these are designed with such tight ankles to cut off circulation to your feet so your shoes don't hurt. But really, just what is the point of these? Do they really look good on anyone? I don't know about you, but my leg is shaped like about like a drumstick (currently the extra-crispy kind you get at KFC. Mmmmmm KFC.....) Anyway, unless your leg is roughly pencil shaped (and sized) I can't see that these would be remotely flattering.

Ballet Flats: You know the kind I'm talking about. Typically made of some shiny material with soles made out of a double-ply sheet of toilet paper. Flatter than flats. I don't have large feet, but when I tried a pair on, I looked sort of like a duck. Is it now fashionable to look like a duck? I guess they do have rather skinny legs. I bet ducks would look downright sassy in skinny jeans.

Gold/Silvery Fabric: In almost every magazine I have picked up, the purses seem to be made out of some strange metallic fabric. What is this stuff? Aluminum foil? Gum wrappers? Leftover lining from the inside of Liberace's piano bench? And what is the purpose of a metallic purse? To coordinate with your hub caps? I suppose it might match your shiny metallic duck flats and skinny jeans.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I just don't get it. It causes me to wonder of course. If this really is what's cool, then maybe I've finally turned the corner into official "un-coolness."

Contemplating what a tall chicken-legged duck with a gum-wrapper purse would look like,

Cyndi

3 comments:

Heather said...

I completely agree! They're trying hard to bring the 80s back. Thankfully it looks like we're past the leggings phase; I can only hope the skinny jeans and ballet flats aren't far behind. NO DEF LEOPARD!!!

notmylespaul said...

Allow me to shed some light on this terrible fashion genre. Its called "Indie" all the indie kids wear skinny jeans, canvas or ballet flats, lots of metallic fabric, and 8 or 9 studded belts. its so seriously sick. they dont stop there, they all cut their hair like bon jovi did back when mom still had those magazines, you know the ones..and they talk about how if you cut them theyll bleed music, blah blah blah, Indie kids are so gross, i have to disindiefect the air when theyre around gross! Sick!

Cyndi said...

Ahhh. Indie you say. This makes much more sense. Sadly it is just as I thought. I am in fact too crusty to get it. I am going to decide that this is comforting rather than depressing. By the way, notmylespaul, how comes it you have not been posting on your blog? Hmmmm?